November 28, 2007

Mayor bans the phrase "I don't know"

The mayor of a Siberian town has banned 25 phrases including "I don't know", "I can't" and "It's not my job". People using these phrases will be on their way to unemployment.

I embrace this mentality. In past jobs when I was supervising projects and people, when people contacted me with a problem, I expected them to have thought of some possible solutions before they contacted me. They were deeper in the project than I was and would have a better understanding of the problem. They often came up with good solutions, and could then check in with me for my opinion on which course was best. It certainly simplified my job and as the article states "To say 'I don't know' is the same as admitting your helplessness."

As an Integrated Agent, any time I normally would answer 'I don't know', I replace it with "I will find out". I try to have as much knowledge as possible, but I am certainly not all-knowing. I am your advocate and it is my responsibility to provide you with the best information possible. And you definitely won't hear "It's not my job". That is just another dead-end answer. I will contact the responsible party and find out what is going on. As always, I want you to be the strongest, most well-informed buyer out there.